Crunchy Coconut Shrimp with Sweet Orange Marmalade Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups Smucker's® Simply Fruit Orange Marmalade Spreadable Fruit
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons Canola Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (or to taste)
- All-Vegetable Shortening for frying
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon jerk seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 3/4 cups unsweetened shredded wheat, crushed
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 24 large tail shrimp, shell attached (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- Step 1
PLACE all sauce ingredients into a food processor and pulse until almost smooth, or mash with a potato masher. Place mixture in a small serving bowl and set aside.
- Step 2
MELT enough shortening to equal 2 inches in a deep frying pan, or use an electric deep fryer half-filled with shortening; heat to 350°F (365°F degrees for electric fryer).
- Step 3
COMBINE flour, cornstarch, jerk seasoning and paprika in a shallow bowl. Pour coconut milk into a second bowl. In a third bowl or shallow plate, combine the crushed shredded wheat and flaked coconut. Lay out cooling racks and place waxed paper underneath them to catch drippings.
- Step 4
HOLD each shrimp by the tail, coat with flour mixture, dip into the coconut milk and coat with the crushed wheat/coconut mixture. Place shrimp on a rack and repeat process until all shrimp are coated.
- Step 5
FRY 6 to 8 shrimp at a time, for 1 to 2 minutes or until golden and crispy. Bring oil back to 350°F (365°F for electric fryer) before frying next batch. As each batch finishes, drain shrimp on a paper towel before transferring to a serving platter. Serve hot or warm with sauce.