Chocolate Caramel Thumbprint Cookies
- No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening cut into slices
- OR 1 cup Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 3 large eggs separated
- 2 tablespoons Water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups finely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup Smucker's® Caramel Flavored Topping
- Step 1
HEAT oven to 350°F. Adjust rack to middle position. Coat two baking sheets lightly with no-stick cooking spray.
- Step 2
BEAT brown sugar and shortening in medium bowl with mixer at medium speed for 2 minutes or until fluffy. Scrape down sides of bowl. Add egg yolks, water, vanilla and salt. Beat until well combined. Add flour and cocoa on low speed until well blended.
- Step 3
BEAT egg whites in shallow bowl until foamy. Place pecans in separate shallow bowl. Measure about 2 teaspoons dough for each cookie. Form into balls. Dip each ball into egg whites, then roll into pecans. Place on prepared baking sheet. Using back of teaspoon or your thumb, make rounded indentation in top of each cookie.
- Step 4
BAKE 10 minutes. Remove from oven. Make indentation in cookie again. Place 1/2 teaspoon caramel topping into indentation of each cookie. Bake an additional 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for several minutes. Remove to cooling rack to cool completely.