Jam and Hazelnut Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups Sugar
- 1 cup All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup ground hazelnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup Smucker's® Natural Strawberry Fruit Spread
- OR 1/4 cup Smucker's® Natural Orange Marmalade Fruit Spread
- OR 1/4 cup Smucker's® Natural Red Raspberry Fruit Spread
- Powdered sugar
- Step 1
BEAT sugar and shortening in large bowl with mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add egg, vanilla and lemon zest; beating until well blended. Combine flour, hazelnuts, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in medium bowl. Gradually add to shortening mixture. Beat on low until smooth. Divide dough into 4 equal pieces. Wrap each one with plastic wrap. Freeze 30 minutes.
- Step 2
HEAT oven to 350ºF. Roll 1/4 of dough between 2 sheets of lightly floured wax paper to 1/8-inch thickness. Remove top sheet of wax paper. Cut with floured 2-inch round scalloped cutter. Cut centers out of half of the cookies with 3/4 to 1-inch cutter. Place 2-inches apart on baking sheet.
- Step 3
BAKE 6 to 7 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Cool 1 minute on baking sheet. Remove to cooling rack. Repeat with remaining dough. Spread about 1/2 teaspoon preserves on bottom side of each whole cookie. Sprinkle tops of center cut-out cookies with powdered sugar. Place on top of cookies with preserves.