Southern Yam Dessert Squares
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 lb. yams or sweet potatoes, cooked, peeled and mashed or 1 (16 oz.) can yams, drained and mashed (about 2 cups)
- 1 (14 oz.) can Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 tsps. ground allspice or pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp. grated orange rind
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Vanilla ice cream
- Smucker's® Sundae Syrup™ Caramel Flavored Syrup
- Step 1
HEAT oven to 350°F. Combine oats, flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl; set aside.
- Step 2
BEAT butter, sugar and vanilla until fluffy in large bowl. Add dry ingredients, combining until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Reserve 1 cup crumb mixture; press remaining mixture firmly into bottom of ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Step 3
BAKE 10 minutes. Combine remaining ingredients except nuts in medium bowl; mix well. Pour over partially baked crust. Combine nuts with reserved crumb mixture; crumble evenly over top.
- Step 4
BAKE an additional 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream. Drizzle with caramel topping if desired.
Eagle Brand is a trademark of Eagle Family Foods Group, LLC, used by permission.