Caribbean Pot Roast
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 pounds boneless beef chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Smucker's® Sweet Orange Marmalade
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Step 1
COMBINE flour, salt and pepper in extra-large resealable plastic bag. Seal and shake bag to blend ingredients. Add beef roast to bag. Seal and shake to coat completely.
- Step 2
HEAT oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add roast and any loose flour mixture. Cook until browned on all sides. Remove roast from Dutch oven. Stir onion and garlic into pan drippings. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes.
- Step 3
HEAT oven to 350°F. Add tomato sauce, water, marmalade, cumin and chili powder to Dutch oven. Stir. Return roast to Dutch oven. Cover with tight-fitting lid. Bake 2 hours.
- Step 4
ADD black beans and sweet potatoes. Cover and bake 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until meat is fork tender. Stir cilantro into sauce, if desired.